our History

  • 1890 – November, five Swedish immigrants started the Swedish Baptist Church. They met in a home in the Brier Hill district of Youngstown.

  • 1900 – Membership 38, meetings were held in halls on East and West federal Street.

  • 1901 – Lots were purchased on Woodland Avenue near Market Street.

  • 1904 – Church was built and dedicated in February on the Woodland Avenue site.

  • 1927 – Four lots purchased at the corner of Vermont Avenue and Howard Street. The name of the church was changed from the Swedish Baptist Church to Vermont Avenue Baptist Church.

  • 1933 – Voted to change the name of the church to Evangel Baptist. There were two morning services: one in English and one in Swedish. Then, it was changed to one service, but to alternate languages every other Sunday.

  • 1938 – The church was incorporated under the name of the Evangel Baptist Church.

  • 1947 – Lots purchased at the corner of Southern Boulevard and Stanton Avenue.

  • 1949 – Groundbreaking for our present church.

  • 1950 – Moved from Woodland Avenue location to basement unit of our present church building.

  • 1952 – Occupied upstairs sanctuary.

  • 1954 – Built the North addition – the youth wing.

  • 1959 – Purchased three lots south of the church on Southern boulevard.

  • 1960 – Built the south addition – the children’s wing

  • 1975 – Groundbreaking for church expansion for current lobby.

  • 2001 – Randy Brunko appointed Senior Pastor.

Upcoming Events

At EBC

08 June
11:00 am - 12:00 pm

Prayer Walk

09 June
9:00 am - 10:00 am

Sunday Bible Classes for all ages

09 June
10:30 am - 11:30 am

Sunday Worship Service

15 June
9:00 am - 12:00 pm

Positive Impact Food Pantry

No event found!